My Dad instilled in me a huge appreciation for music – both by discussing it at length, by playing his guitar, and by making sure that I learnt to read music and play piano. Not as a pushy show parent that wanted me to perform for others, but for as long as I enjoyed it he encouraged me. I kind of wish I had the patience to re-learn to play my piano, or perhaps another instrument.
Here are some of the songs I made sure were on a playlist at his memorial service earlier this year, songs that he loved.
- Billy Bragg – Levi Stubbs Tears
- Led Zeppelin – Rock and Roll
- Pink Floyd – Money
- Heart – Magic Man
- Deep Purple – Highway Star
- The Who – My Generation
- Joni Mitchell – Chelsea Morning
- Judy Collins – Send in the Clowns
- Bob Dylan – Hurricane
- Billy Joel – For the Longest Time
- Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
- Joe Jackson – Breaking Us In Two
- The Police – Roxanne
- The Rollings Stones – Angie
- Blondie – Atomic
These are only some of the songs. I’ve been listening to this playlist quite a bit, along with others.